GRT Advisory Board
The Gypsy Roma Traveller Advisory Board (GRTAB) is made up of Travellers and Gypsies from across the country. The group steers TM policy work and is the key consultation point for the partnerships and policy teams on a wide range of issues. Membership and voting rights are exclusively based on the identity and heritage of the Traveller and Gypsy communities.
The GRTAB have quarterly meetings at the TM offices in London and also work in subgroups and individual capacities as and when required.
The group and its members have been instrumental in:
- Coordinating and facilitating TM’s highly successful annual national conferences since 2007, attended by approximately 200 people each year.
- Guiding TM research, including TM’s 2013 Department of Health funded study on the impact of insecure accommodation on Gypsies’ and Travellers’ health.
- Attending Department for Education Gypsy Roma Traveller Stakeholder Group meetings and guiding TM education policy.
- Challenging negative media coverage of Gypsies and Travellers, including TM’s successful complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency against Channel 4’s big fat gypsy wedding advertisements.
- Guiding and drafting the TM submission to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women.To strive for confident and pro-active participation, TM offers capacity building and skills development training to all members. We believe that self-confidence is key to full participation within the group and the ability to represent the issues affecting these communities externally.GRT Advisory Board members are from a wide geographical spread with an incredible range of diverse backgrounds and skills, including trades men, classroom assistants, teachers, traders, community youth workers, solicitors, respected activists and community advocates.
The Traveller Movement’s policy officer facilitates the GRT Advisory Board. For inquiries into joining our Advisory Board please contact us.